Whenever I grocery shop, I always find myself purchasing potato chips. I tend to go towards either simple salted chips or salt & black cracked pepper. Depending on what type of mood I’m in, I’ll get something spicy or try something new. Recently, I tried limited edition Cape Cod chips – New England Bisque. Wasn’t a bad flavor but definitely not my favorite. Alright, before I get off subject, the reason why we’re here is for something that is so yummy: cheesy bacon potato chips.
If I’m having a relatively small amount of guests over where I’ll be serving food, I like to keep it simple but delicious. I love the idea of semi-homemade dishes. Half the work and if we’re being honest, no one even has to know that part.
Cheesy bacon potato chips as an appetizer is definitely something I’m going to be making again and again when we have guests over. If I’m being honest, I’ll probably just make it for John and me because that’s how much I loved it. Let me warn you about this appetizer: it’s addictive.
No, really, it is. I’m not sure what came over me but I could not stop eating these chips. It was especially delicious as it was fresh out of the oven. You can throw the chips in the oven a few minutes before guests arrive or even as they’re arriving so it’ll be warm. Even though serving them warm is ideal, I’m 100% sure guests will snack on these even at room temperature.
Easy appetizer: cheesy bacon potato chips
If you think eating just one potato chip is difficult, this will be 10 times as hard. The other wonderful thing with this appetizer is, whatever you bake it in, you can use the same pan as the serving dish too. Take it straight from the oven to the table – how simple is that?
Work smarter, not harder, people. That’s what Hostess With Mimosas is all about.
Very slightly adapted from Half Baked Harvest.
- 5-7 slices thick cut bacon, chopped into pieces
- 1 bag black pepper potato chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chipotle gouda cheese, optional
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Rosemary, jalapeños or green onions for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over high heat until the bacon begins to crisp; spoon the bacon onto a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Place chips in a single layer on the baking sheet and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the chips. Drizzle the maple evenly over the chips then add the cheese and bacon; sprinkle on the cayenne pepper.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
Are you throwing a party soon and planning on making this appetizer? Share your photos on Instagram using the hashtag, #HostessWithMimosas.